WELCOME & INTRODUCTION
The New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School offers real estate courses for the purpose of qualifying students for real estate and/or appraisal licensing. The School also offers continuing education courses for the renewal of real estate licenses.
The New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School courses meet the minimum requirements as set forth by the CT Real Estate Commission. For more information on real estate and/or appraisal licensing requirements visit the Department of Consumer Protection website: www.ct.gov/dcp
Our goal is to help you succeed in your Real Estate career by presenting and expecting professional standards in learning and personal behavior. You will maximize your school experience with your full participation and cooperation in the classroom.
Our ability to offer classes, order textbooks, and to pay our instructors is based on enrollment.
As a new or prospective student, please take a few moments to review the following school policies and procedures. If you have any questions, please contact the School office: 203-234-7700.
SCHOOL POLICIES & PROCEDURES
REGISTRATION & PAYMENT
Registration forms for Continuing Education and Pre-Licensing classes can be downloaded from the EDUCATION page of our website www.nhmrealtors.com.
Additional registration forms are also available in the NHMR lobby. Please print clearly when submitting the completed form via:
MAIL: New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School
127 Washington Avenue, West Bldg. LL
North Haven, CT 06473
(Be sure to allow a minimum of 10 days for your registration/payment to arrive by mail.)
DROP OFF: NHMR/New Haven Middlesex RE School (see address above), Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
- The School accepts cash(exact amt only), check, MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover.
- Payment in FULL is required
- There will be a $25.00 charge for any check returned by the bank for insufficient funds or for any declined credit card charge.
- There are NO REFUNDS on books.
- There are no refunds on special orders for books.
ATTENDANCE & PUNCTUALITY
ATTENDANCE: Students are expected to be present in the classroom during the entire class session to receive credit for the required course hours. Students may NOT leave the classroom to make phone calls or to conduct other business unless there is a break. Students will only receive credit for time they are actually in class.
PUNCTUALITY: Late arrivals are disruptive to the class and impact your course hour requirement. All students are expected to arrive ON TIME.
- Continuing Education classes: Individual late arrivals or early departures will be noted and documented by the instructor. Students who miss more than 10 minutes of a Continuing Education class whether due to late arrival or early departure will not receive a certificate for the class. Payment for the class will neither be refunded nor will it be transferable to another session. (No exceptions.) Continuing Education Course completion certificates will only be awarded to those students who have successfully met the class time requirement.
- Pre-Licensing classes: Individual late arrivals or early departures will be noted and documented by the instructor.
- Principles & Practices Course Requirements: The CT DCP requires applicants for a real estate sales license to:
- Attend at least 60 hours of classroom instruction before they can take the final exam.
- Pass a final exam with a score of at least 70%.
- Students have 1 year from their chosen start date to complete the 60 hour requirement.
Success in Life and in Learning requires discipline. Your success in the classroom will be impacted by your personal study habits. Principles and Practice is a foundation course that requires the student to read all of the text assignments and to consistently review the class notes and handouts. Successful course outcomes require not only your active participation in class but an additional investment in time outside of class to review and prepare for the next session. The course final exam and the State exam are difficult. Developing an organized and disciplined approach to your studies is essential in preparing for the continuing educational and professional requirements of a career in real estate.
Cancellations will depend on the New Haven school systems
The School reserves the right to cancel classes if minimum enrollments are not met. Course enrollment fees will not be refunded unless the New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School has cancelled a course. CE and pre-licensing classes will be rescheduled and/or extended as needed.
- For CE classes call 203-234-7700 first to check class status. (As a rule: a judgment decision will be made and students will be notified as soon as possible, due to inclement weather our classes will usually be cancelled).
- Pre-Licensing students should contact their instructor(s) first.
- If class has not been cancelled, the regular attendance policy will apply.
- Please use your judgment as to whether to proceed. Please drive with caution and allow yourself plenty of time.
Continuing Education (CE): If you are ill and unable to attend a CE class that you registered for, you must contact the school prior to the class start time. A student may reschedule provided the School is notified prior to the start of class. Notification may be made by calling 203-234-7700.
PRE-LICENSING CLASSES FINAL EXAM GRADES
- All final exam grades are subject to a final review by education department staff.
After completing 60 hours of classroom time. It is the students responsibility to make an appointment to take their exam.
If a student fails the final exam (Score below 70%), he/she may take up to three make-up exams within 90 days of the end date of the course. Students are responsible for scheduling their make up exams during regular office hours (Monday – Friday, 8:30am-1:00pm).
Students who fail the three make-up exams will not be allowed to take another final exam without retaking the course.
REPEATING A PRE-LICENSING COURSE
A discount of 50% off of the current tuition is offered to students who have successfully completed a course at the New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School and wish to retake the entire course as a refresher.
Students who have completed a course but failed the final exam and the three make-up attempts can repeat the class within three months of taking their first exam at no charge, after 3 month
Full tuition will be charged for repeating a class after the one year course end date.
WITHDRAWALS, TRANSFERS, & DROP OUTS
Our ability to offer classes is based on enrollment.
- Transfers and refunds are allowed up to the start time of the class.
- There are NO REFUNDS for confirmed classes.
- Any cancellation/no-show after the start time of the class will result in a forfeit of the class fee or free credit.
All requests to withdraw a pre-licensing course must be submitted to the School in writing (e-mail or faxes are acceptable); verbal requests will not be accepted. If a student does not notify the School of his/her decision to withdraw, the student will be considered a drop-out and will NOT be entitled to cancellation refunds, rescheduling, etc.
- Withdrawal requests must be received prior to their chosen start date. Withdrawing students will receive a tuition refund less a $50.00 administrative fee.
- Withdrawal requests received prior to the third session will receive a tuition refund less a $75.00 administrative fee.
- NO REFUNDS will be made after the start of the third class session.
- The school reserves the right to expel any students who continue to miss excessive numbers of classes after their transfer.
- NO REFUNDS ON TEXT BOOKS.
- Continuing Education (CE) certificates should be kept for 3 years in the event of a CT DCP audit.
- There is a $25.00 fee for each printed CE certificate.
- There is a $25.00 fee for each Pre-Licensing replacement certificate.
No certificates will be issued until payment in full is received.
Please submit your specific replacement certificate request(s) via e-mail to: email@example.com
(Please include: your name as you would like it to appear on the replacement Certificate, Course topic and completion dates).
When your certificate is ready to be picked up we will contact you.
*Please note that we can only replace certificates for courses completed at the New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School.
The instructor, or any School staff member, may ask a student to leave a class if the student is inattentive, disruptive, or violates the class rules or School policies. Other than for use of cell phones, etc., the student will receive one verbal warning. In any matter regarding conduct of a student during a class session, the instructor’s decision shall be final. Expelled students will forfeit any and all tuition and book fees.
Student information is confidential. No student addresses, telephone numbers and/or grades will be given out without the student’s written permission.
Real Estate Sales and/or Broker Pre- Licensing Requirements:
For questions on obtaining and maintaining a CT Salesperson/ Broker license, contact the CT Dept of Consumer Protection, Real Estate Unit at 1-860-713-6150 or firstname.lastname@example.org , or visit www.ct.gov/dcp .
Real Estate Appraiser Pre-Licensing Requirements:
For questions on obtaining and maintaining a CT Appraiser license(s), contact the CT Dept of Consumer Protection, Appraisal Commission in the Real Estate Unit at 1-860-713-6150 or e-mail email@example.com or visit www.ct.gov/dcp.
For more information on Appraiser education requirements visit: www.appraisalfoundation.org
Pre- Licensing Exams:
All CT Real Estate Pre-licensing exams are administered through PSI Exams. Detailed candidate information and registration forms on the state exam and licensing process can be downloaded at: http://candidate.psiexams.com or by phone 1-800-733-9267.
- There is a “No Smoking” policy in the classroom, lobby, and rest room areas of the school. Students wishing to smoke must leave the building and go to a designated smoking area.
- Under no circumstances may a student leave a class to smoke.
- Students may smoke outside the building only during scheduled classroom breaks.
- Food and drink may be permitted in the classroom at the discretion of the instructor.
- Students are responsible for cleaning up after themselves and placing used food or beverage containers in the trash baskets provided.
- If the students do not clean up the instructor is required to place a ban on food and drink in the classroom.
- No alcoholic beverages are permitted in the building.
CELL PHONES, TABLETS, ETC.
- Noise making devices that are distracting: such as cell phones, computers, etc., should be turned off during class sessions.
- Laptops are permitted for note taking only.
- Calculators are permitted.
- Cell phone use other than at breaks is restricted for the comfort of other students.
- None of these devices may be used in the lobby or rest rooms while the class is in session. Use is confined to the lobby or outside during breaks only.
The instructor or any School staff may immediately expel any student violating this policy from the course and the student would forfeit any tuition paid.
Audio or video recording of any class session is prohibited.