How do I register for an event?

You can register on the calendar on our website or by going to nhmrealtors.com/events


What is the difference between the National Association of Realtors, the Connecticut Association of Realtors, the New Haven Middlesex Association of Realtors and the Connecticut Multiple Listing Service?

The Nation Association of Realtors (NAR) is a nationwide organization that promotes and protects the REALTOR® trademark. NAR advocates on the federal level on behalf of the interests of Realtors and properties owners.  NAR also created the Coded of Ethics and oversees the nationwide implementation of enforcement of the code.

The Connecticut Association of Realtors (CAR) advocates at the state level on behalf of Connecticut Realtors and property owners, as well as, working to unite the individual Realtor Associations throughout the state.  CAR also offers free legal assistance to members through its Legal Hotline.

The New Haven Middlesex Association of Realtors (NHMR) works at the local level and provides direct services to its members. We offer pre-licensing and Continuing Education classes through our New Haven Middlesex Real Estate School. NHMR also has very popular informational sessions called Power Lunch with a Point of View which gives members a free lunch while learning about topics related to Real Estate. The Association also offers an electronic lock box system for all members which provides the ultimate level of security on real estate listings.

The SMARTMLS operates the MLS database Matrix.

Where can I access forms online?

There are two places you can access forms on the internet. The New Haven Middlesex Association of Realtors website https://www.nhmrealtors.com  has forms you can access through our Members Section– https://www.nhmrealtors.com/members/  The Forms link requires a user name and password.

The SMARTMLS website has data input forms and forms related to changing member information, such as when a member moves from one office to another.


How do I pay my dues?

Simply log in to our member portal at nhmrportal.ramcoams.net to see your balance.

Why did the Association switch to electronic billing and not send out paper invoices?

Electronic billing and on-line payments are the wave of the future. It cuts back on paper and postage and many members find it a convenience they already utilize with many, if not all, of their other bills.


Can I join the Association if I am not a REALTOR?

NMHR offers Affiliate Memberships and Corporate Sponsorships for individuals who, while not engaged in the real estate profession, have an interest in the real estate industry and are in sympathy with the objectives of the Association. Sponsors and Affiliate members benefit from the ability to network with our membership as well as promote their products and services through various sponsorship opportunities.

How do I become a Sponsor or Affiliate Member?

Preferred Partner, Corporate & Affiliate Sponsorships Now Available!
Our new sponsor package offer
tremendous increased marketing and networking opportunities to build relationships with our members and generate  terrific exposure for your company! For details and a complete Sponsor Package, contact Bernadette Blaze at Bernadette@nhmrealtors.com or Rachael Keating at Rachael@nhmrealtors.com.

How do I get recognized for Quarterly Production Awards?

To be eligible, you must submit the Production Achievement Award Nomination Form. To qualify, you must earn 9 points per calendar quarter. 1 Point is earned if you take a new listing or are the selling agent on a property that closed during the quarter. If you are both the listing and the selling agent of a property during the same quarter, you will earn 2 points. If one of your listings sells during the quarter (even if you are not the selling agent), you earn 1 point. Points are completed on listings currently in SMARTMLS. RENTAL STATUS LISTINGS CANNOT BE USED.

The Nomination Form can be found in the Members Section under Forms. The Association must receive this nomination form by the 10th of the month following the end of the quarter. The Designated REALTOR® or Office Manager must sign this form. Fax the completed form to (203) 234-3980 or email it to nick@nhmrealtors.com

How do I join the Commercial Investment Division?

You can download and complete the CID Application Form and submit it with payment to NHMR. Annual dues are only $40!  You can pay by credit card or check.  Email Bernadette@nhmrealtors.com for further information.

What services do you offer for Commercial Agents?

NHMR’s Commercial Investment Division (CID) is a networking group of licensed Commercial Real Estate Brokers and Agents who meet monthly to share leads, success stories, challenges and most importantly, make deals. CID members participate in monthly informational and networking breakfast meetings, as well as special events such as the bus tour, commercial open houses and ongoing educational opportunities. The Association also offers educational classes for commercial agents.



How do I obtain a real estate license in CT?

Anyone wishing to obtain a real estate license in CT must complete a Real Estate Principles & Practice course (60 hours of class time and pass the exam) with an approved school.  After successful completion of the course, the real estate candidate must apply to take the state exam.  Upon successful completion of the state exam (a grade of 70 or better), the CT Department of Consumer Protection will issue a real estate license.

The Real Estate Division of the CT Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) administers a professional licensing and enforcement process to assure that only qualified, competent persons are licensed in the real estate profession.  If you have specific questions about real estate licensing or education, contact the DCP Real Estate Unit at 860-713-6150 or via e-mailreal.estate@ct.gov .

For a list of our upcoming Real Estate Principles & Practice courses, please visit the Agent PRE-LICENSING section of our website:www.nhmrealtors.com.

How do I register for the state exam?

All Broker and/or Agent Candidates must pass both the State and General portions of the exam within one year of the date you enrolled in PSI.  If a portion of the exam is failed you must pass that portion within one year from date of eligibility or you will be required to retake both portions.  After one year a new application and fee must be submitted.

Individuals who pass the PSI exam must apply for a license within two years, otherwise a new application and fee must be submitted to PSI to be eligible to retest.

A detailed candidate information brochure on the process for completing the CT Real Estate licensing exams can be downloaded athttp://candidate.psiexams.com.

For more information about license applications and examinations contact:

PSI Exams: 800-733-9267 or  www.psiexams.com

CT Department of Consumer Protection (DCP): www.ct.gov/dcp or 860-713-6150 or  real.estate@ct.gov

What are the requirements for becoming a Broker in CT?

Broker Candidates must provide evidence of successfully completing the following courses (from an approved school) and work experience requirements:

I. REAL ESTATE PRINCIPLES & PRACTICE – Effective January 1, 2014, Broker candidates must  submit  proof of completion of one 60-hour Principles & Practice course. (Two 30-hour Principles & Practice course certificates are no longer accepted).

 II. REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL – 30 Hours (Choice of Appraisal 1, Principles OR  Procedures)



Application forms for the CT Real Estate Broker Exams can be found on www.psiexams.com.

Please include the ORIGINAL certificates (no photocopies) for all courses completed.  Grade Letters must contain: (a) School Name and School Code, (b) Dates Attended, (c) Hours Completed, (d) Grade Received, and (e) Signature of School Official.

Pass the final exam with a grade of 75 or better.

The Real Estate Division of the CT Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) administers a professional licensing and enforcement process to assure that only qualified, competent persons are licensed in the real estate profession.  If you have specific questions about real estate licensing or education, contact the DCP Real Estate Unit at 860-713-6150 or via e-mailreal.estate@ct.gov.

What are the requirements for becoming an Appraiser in CT?

The process of becoming an appraiser differs according to the various appraisal disciplines for a Licensed, Certified Residential or Certified General appraiser.  Effective January 1, 2008 the Appraisal Qualifications Board (AQB) of the Appraisal Foundation established minimum criteria for state licensed/certified real property appraisers.

For more information on Appraiser requirements, contact the CT Real Estate Appraisal Commission www.ct.gov/dcp or the National Appraisal Foundation www.appraisalfoundation.org.


How do I renew my real estate license?

Real Estate licenses expire annually and must be renewed with the Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) by the deadline dates noted below:

Brokers: Expiration date is March 31

Sales Agents: Expiration Date May 31

Appraisers: Expiration Date April 30

For more licensing information please visit the DCP website www.ct.gov/dcp.

With which states does CT have license reciprocity?

License reciprocity allows for an active licensee from one state (i.e., Connecticut) to practice in another state, subject to special license law requirements. This recognition between states is encouraged when mutually advantageous. CT has reciprocity agreements with numerous states including: Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island.

License requirements may vary by state so it is important for Connecticut licensee’s to contact the state where they are seeking recognition. Visit the following link to the CT Department of Consumer Protection’s website for up-to-date information regarding reciprocity: http://www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?a=1624&q=381860

Continuing Education

How do I find out how many CE’s I have?

It is always best to keep accurate records of your Continuing Education courses for each CE cycle.  If you are audited by the CT Department of Consumer Protection, Real Estate Division, you are required  to provide proof of your CE completion. (TIP: Use a brightly colored folder to store your original completion certificates so you can easily spot it in your filing cabinet.  The DCP requires original certificates as proof, not photo-copies.)

If you complete your CE courses with NHMR, we can check our records for up to 3 years. There is a fee to obtain copies of CE Completion certificates.

If you take your CE classes through other education providers you must contact those providers directly.

I am newly licensed, do I need to take CE classes?

Brokers: If you pass your original Broker state licensing examination between 4/1/2016 and 3/31/2018, you do not need to take the continuing education courses for the 2014-2016 CE cycle.  (The date used is not the issuance date of your first license, it is theexam date.)  Your Score Reports will reflect the examination passing date.

Agents – If you pass your original state licensing examination between 6/1/2016 and 5/31/2018, you do not need to take the continuing education courses for the 2014-2016 CE cycle .  (The date used is not the issuance date of your first license, it is the exam date.)  Your Score Reports will reflect the examination passing date.

What are the requirements for completing CE?

Every two years CT Real Estate Brokers and Agents must complete twelve (12) hours of continuing education to renew their CT real estate license.  The 12 hours includes mandatory and elective course requirements. 


“Fair Housing” (Mandatory)

3 hours

Elective Courses

9 hours



Continuing Education cycle deadlines occur in the years ending in EVEN numbers:

Real Estate Brokers must complete their CE requirements by March 31.

Real Estate Agents must complete their CE requirements by May 31.

You may choose to fulfill your CE requirements by completing courses either in a traditional classroom setting or online.

You also have the option of fulfilling your CE requirements by passing the 40-QUESTION CONNECTICUT CONTINUING EDUCATION EXAMINATION.  To schedule an exam date directly with the testing company call: 1-800-733-9267 or

visit  www.psiexams.com .

Where can I find a CE class schedule?

NHMR’s class schedules, course locations, and registration forms can be found on our website www.nhmrealtors.com.  Education information is often included in the bi-weekly NHMR ENews, too! 

You also have the option of fulfilling your CE requirements by passing the 40-QUESTION CONNECTICUT CONTINUING EDUCATION EXAMINATION.  To schedule an exam date directly with the testing company call: 1-800-733-9267 or

visit www.psiexams.com.

Where do I find online CE classes?

NHMR’s online course information, as well as our classroom schedules, can be found by visiting the Education page on our website www.nhmrealtors.com.

Watch for education information in the bi-weekly NHMR ENews, too!

Designations & Certifications

How do I earn a designation/certification?

Many of the classes are co-sponsored by the CT Association of REALTORS® (CTR) and local boards/associations.

For more information visit the CTR website:  http://www.ctrealtor.com/mt_education/realtorDesignations.shtml

What designations & certifications exist for REALTORS ®?

A variety of designations and certifications exist within the Real Estate profession.  They assist members in increasing knowledge, skills, and proficiency.    

For more information visit the following websites:

National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) –   http://www.realtor.org/designations-and-certifications

CT Association of REALTORS® – http://www.ctrealtor.com/mt_education/realtorDesignations.shtml


How do I comply with NAR’s Code of Ethics requirement?

The National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) requires all members to complete ethics training once within each 3-year cycle. Failure to complete the required periodic ethics training shall be considered a violation of a membership duty. 

https://www.nhmrealtors.com/code-of-ethics/ for more information.

A little history regarding this requirement…

Mandatory ethics training requirements for new and continuing REALTOR® members was established by the National Association’s Board of Directors at the 1999 Annual Convention with the following goals:

to heighten member awareness of the key tenets of the Code of Ethics;

to create an awareness of and appreciation for the role the Code can and should play in their professional lives;

to enhance professionalism and competency; and

to encourage REALTORS® to view their Code of Ethics as a living, viable guide in their daily dealings with clients, customers, and the public.

This requirement went into effect Jan. 1, 2001.

For more information, visit the NAR website: nar.realtor

Professional Standards

Can a complaint be filed with an Association and a state real estate licensing authority or any other state or federal regulatory agency?

Yes, however any complaint filed with another state or federal agency will be heard first.  Once investigated and completed the complaint will then be heard on the local level by a Professional Standards Committee.

Can both an Ethics and Arbitration Complaint be filed against a REALTOR?

Yes, both types of complaints can be filed against a REALTOR, the Arbitration complaint is generally heard first and usually at a separate hearing.

Can I file a complaint against a non-REALTOR®?

If you believe the individual with whom you are working has violated the License Law, a written complaint should be forwarded to the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, 165 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106. You can find forms for this filing at their website at www.ct.gov/dcp.

I want to file a complaint against a REALTOR®, what should I do? Who do I contact?

First, you should contact the agent’s broker or manager and see if they can help solve the problem.  If this isn’t possible or if you want to file a grievance against the agent, then the association has a complaint process for individuals wishing to file complaints for alleged violations of the REALTORS® Code of Ethics.  Once you have determined that the individual you wish to file a complaint against is a member of the local association, your complaint should be filed in a timely fashion. If you have any questions during this process you can contact the Association at 203-234-7700.

Is there a fee for filing a complaint, if so what is the fee?

There is no fee for filing an ethics complaint, however if the respondent is found in violation of the Code of Ethics, the respondent will assessed an administrative processing fee of $500.  In an arbitration complaint, both complainant and respondent pay a $500 filing fee/deposit.  The deposits of the parties shall be used by the Association to cover the cost of Arbitration as it may be required.

Is there a time limit in which to file a complaint?

The complaint must be filed within (180) days of the time that the alleged offense and facts relating to it could have been known by the complainant in exercise of reasonable diligence or within (180) days after the conclusion of the transaction or event, whichever is later.

What is the difference between an Ethics Complaint and an Arbitration Complaint?

An Ethics complaint is a clear violation of an Article or Articles of the National Association of REALTORS® Code of Ethics.  An Arbitration complaint is a violation of Article 17 of the Code of Ethics and a broker is seeking monetary compensation.  Arbitration complaints are only between Brokers.

Who determines the outcome of a hearing?

A panel of your peers that have been specifically trained for this.  Any decision made by the panel, must go before the Association Board of Directors for final approval of the decision.