REALTORS® Required to Complete Ethics Training – 3 Year Cycle (Jan. 1, 2019 – Dec. 31, 2021)
Deadline: December 31, 2021
The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® (NAR) and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.
(REALTOR® members include Appraisers, Brokers, Sales Agents, etc.). Mandatory ethics training requirements for new and continuing REALTOR® members were established by the National Association’s Board of Directors at the 1999 Annual NAR Convention to heighten member awareness of the:
Key Tenets of the Code of Ethics:
- To create an awareness of and appreciation for the role the Code can and should play in their professional lives.
- To enhance professionalism and competency.
- To encourage REALTORS® to view the Code of Ethics as a living, viable guide in their daily dealings with clients, customers, and the public.
Between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2021, every active NAR REALTOR® member is required to complete 2 1/2 hours of Code of Ethics training. REALTORS® who have completed this training as a requirement of membership in another association are not required to complete additional ethics training until the next ethics cycle.
Please note: If you took Ethics training at another school or Association it is your responsibility, as a REALTOR, to provide proof of completion to your primary Association prior to December 31, 2021.
- NAR offers free online courses for both existing NAR members and new members. They also offer a Continuing Education (CE) option whereby you can pay for the course and earn 3 CE credits for the current CE cycle. Visit NAR’s website for more information including tips for taking the course and how to check your NAR education record to see if you have completed ethics already or not: http://www.realtor.org/code-of-ethics/training .
- The CE Shop offers online education & attendees earn Continuing Education credit as well. Watch the site for discount codes to apply at checkout: Click here to get started.
- Attend an approved Ethics course in a classroom setting with NHMR. The fee for NHMR members/non-members is $30.00/$50.00 respectively and you would earn 3 CE credits for the current CE cycle.
Failure to meet this requirement shall be considered a violation of membership duty and will result in suspension of membership for the first two months (January and February) of the year following the end of any two-year cycle, or until the requirement is met, whichever occurs sooner. On March 1st of that year, any member who is still suspended will automatically be terminated.